Learn about why real estate investing is a popular but often misunderstood investment asset class.
- I'm sure you've heard experts…talking about how stocks have, over the long run,…outperformed real estate.…What they don't tell you is that the comparison…isn't usually an apples to apples comparison.…Taking stock market data from 1950 to 2009,…the return overall from the stock market,…looking at the Standard & Poor's 500 index,…which is a basket of stocks…that gives a good overall representation…of the stock market,…and factoring in the dividends and adjusting for inflation,…you get about 7%, almost exactly, in terms of the return.…
Now, but don't take my word for it.…That's coming from Warren Buffet,…who says that you get about 6 to 7% return…from the stock market.…Now, if you average 7% return a year on your investments,…that's actually really good.…You're essentially doubling your investment every 10 years,…so over, say, 40 years, you're getting almost 15X…for your investment.…You could turn $100,000 into $1.5 million.…But know that during any shorter time frame,…your return can be either lower or higher,…
Note: This course uses data and example properties from the United States, but the concepts taught and tools provided are just as useful for any market.
- Determining if real estate investment is right for you
- Choosing a market and a property
- Using financing
- Strategies for first-time investors
- Real estate market cycles
- Valuing a property
- Analyzing your market
- How leverage impacts investments
- Real estate investment case studies
Skill Level Intermediate
Managing Your Personal Investmentswith Jane Barratt1h 31m Intermediate
Learning Real Estate Photographywith Scott Hargis3h 21m Beginner
Excel: Analyzing and Visualizing Cash Flowswith Curt Frye1h 16m Intermediate
Start here3m 29s
1. Case Study: Joe's First Investment
2. The Many Ways to Invest in Real Estate
3. Real Estate Market Cycles
4. How to Value a Property
5. Understanding Your Market
6. What Makes a Good Investment?
7. Understanding Leverage
8. Case Study: Rental Income Property Analysis
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.