In this video, the instructor demonstrates how PivotTables can be used, and why they are one of the most powerful and versatile tools for analyzing and exploring raw data in Excel.
- Alright, welcome to Pivot Table 101.…Now, the purpose of this section…is to really just lay some of the groundwork…before we get into the more advanced topics.…So we'll practice inserting pivots,…manipulating views, exploring some of the basic options,…and then later in the course we'll start to dig in deeper.…So let's start with a question.…Why pivot tables?…Why are pivot tables one of the most important…and powerful tools in Excel when it comes to data analysis?…So let's answer this with an example.…Let's say you have state-level data spanning multiple years,…and you're looking at total population…and student population.…
If you only had access to this data in its raw format,…how would you answer the following questions?…Number one: which state had the highest population in 2002?…Alright, that one's not so bad.…Maybe you could just throw some filters on the header row,…drill down to 2002, and then sort column C…to answer the question that way.…Definitely a perfectly valid approach.…But what about number two?…
- Establishing a layer convention and property filters
- Structuring your source data
- How PivotTables actually work
- Number formatting and conditional formatting
- Sorting and grouping options
- Troubleshooting incorrect sorting
- Value summarization and value calculation modes
- Inserting calculated items
- Visualizing data with PivotCharts
- Designing interactive dashboards
Skill Level Intermediate
Learning Excel Data-Analysis (2015)with Curt Frye2h 24m Beginner
Part 1: Introduction1m 8s
1. Getting Started
Getting to know IMDb2m 21s
2. PivotTable 101
3. PivotTable Formatting
4. Sorting, Filtering, and Grouping
5. Calculated Values, Fields, and Items
6. Visualizing Data with PivotCharts
7. Wrapping Up
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.