This quick course helps you prevent errors from occurring in your data when you are using Excel, helping you keep your spreadsheets, workbooks, formulas, and values clean.
- [Dennis] Hi, I'm Dennis Taylor and welcome to this course on avoiding common mistakes in Excel. In these movies I'll show you tips and techniques to minimize the possibility of errors as you work with Excel. I'll show you how to use auto correct and auto fill to make data entry faster and less error prone and accelerate date/time entries. Then I'll show you how to use worksheet and workbook protection schemes, as well as the powerful data validation feature to control the range of data being entered, prevent duplicate entries, and set up pick lists that reduce errors and save time.
I'll also show you how to write formulas more efficiently, use error checking features, and use range names for better documentation and worksheet clarity. And I'll also show you the Inquire add-in to discover potential problems in the current or linked workbooks. So, let's get started.
Dennis begins with the basics—how to display data so that errors can be easily spotted. Next, he offers handy tips to ensure data is entered correctly the first time, using the AutoFill feature and using AutoCorrect shortcut codes for frequently used entries. Dennis provides easy ways to validate your data, which is particularly helpful when multiple team members are contributing to the same spreadsheet. This includes restricting the data that can appear in a spreadsheet by setting value limits, pre-populating data with drop-down lists, and other methods. He also shows how to avoid mistakes in formulas, how to hide data that doesn't need to be seen, and how to use workbook protection to prevent errors, and more.
- Streamlining data entry steps
- Using Excel shortcuts and automation features
- Protecting worksheets and workbooks
- Validating data
- Basing entries on formulas
- Detecting errors in formulas
- Using Range Names
- Finding mistakes in large, complex spreadsheets