Learn the keys to telling a story with data from data visualization expert Bill Shander.
- [Voiceover] Welcome to Data Visualization, Storytelling Essentials. I'm Bill Shander, founder of Beehive Media an information design and data visualization consultancy in Boston. Storytelling is sort of a faddish term in marketing, but I'll make the argument in this course that storytelling has actually been critically important to human survival. Therefore, if you're communicating to anyone, you should try to do so using the structures and methods of storytelling. Storytelling with data is not the same as fictional storytelling, of course, but we'll talk about how to use storytelling's key components and structures to leverage the power of storytelling most effectively for data communications.
We'll talk briefly about finding the stories in your data and then focus a lot of time looking at some great examples of data storytelling, and looking at what makes those data stories great. Finally, we'll examine some other important attributes of data stories beyond the structure. Important details like labeling and use of animation and visual style. I hope you find it interesting, and of course, helpful in your day to day life.
Join data visualization expert Bill Shander as he guides you through the process of turning "facts and figures" into "story" to engage and fulfill our human expectation for information. This course is intended for anyone who works with data and has to communicate it to others, whether a researcher, a data analyst, a consultant, a marketer, or a journalist. Bill shows you how to think about, and craft, stories from data by examining many compelling stories in detail.
- Creating a narrative structure for data
- Applying narrative to data
- Identifying what you want to say with the data
- Analyzing what your data is saying
- Determining what your audience needs to hear
- Leveraging tables, charts, and visuals
- Ensuring your narrative provides context and direction