Join Dennis Taylor for an in-depth discussion in this video Utilizing background color, font color, or cell icon in a custom sort, part of Excel 2011 for the Mac: Managing and Analyzing Data.
- In this worksheet called HR List Color,…we're about to sort the list.…We might want to sort it on the basis…of the color background that's been applied…to some of the cells.…I see yellow and blue on the screen right now,…and as I scroll down a bit…we'll have some other colors.…There's a pink, there's a green.…Sometimes the coloring might have been applied…on the basis of the actual content,…but as we look around here,…that does not pop out at all,…so we're not sure, necessarily, why the color was applied,…but it is that way, maybe on the basis…of someone having signed up on List,…something like that, we're not sure.…
Nevertheless, we might want to sort by color,…and in Excel you can sort by color background,…as we're seeing here,…color font, we don't have any of those in this list,…but that's a possibility,…and also by cell icon.…That's a feature that's a byproduct…of conditional formatting,…which you might not be familiar with.…Let's say that we want to sort this data…on the basis of color.…Now, if we're going to have all the yellow cells together,…
- Multiple-key sorting
- Sorting columns left-to-right
- Filtering columns
- Creating a top-ten list with values or percentages
- Using Advanced Filter for complex filters
- Setting up subtotals
- Using the Remove Duplicates command
- Using SUMIF, COUNTIF, and related functions
- Working with the database functions, such as DSUM and DMAX
Skill Level Intermediate
Financial Literacy: Reading Financial Reportswith Rudolph Rosenberg1h 25m Appropriate for all
Excel for Mac 2011 Essential Trainingwith Curt Frye6h 32m Beginner
Migrating from Excel 2008 for Mac to Excel 2011with David Rivers1h 10m Appropriate for all
1. Sorting Data
2. Filtering Data
3. Advanced Filter
4. Creating Automatic Subtotals in Sorted Lists
5. Eliminating Duplicate Data
6. Data Analysis Tools
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.