Join Dennis Taylor for an in-depth discussion in this video Using the exercise files, part of Excel 2016: Avoiding Common Mistakes.
- [Instructor] If you have access to the Exercise Files for this course, you can put them on your desktop as I have or anywhere else you want. Open the Exercise Files folder and then the appropriate chapter file for the movie you're watching. If you do not have access to the files, you can follow along with your own files as we proceed through the course.
Dennis begins with the basics—how to display data so that errors can be easily spotted. Next, he offers handy tips to ensure data is entered correctly the first time, using the AutoFill feature and using AutoCorrect shortcut codes for frequently used entries. Dennis provides easy ways to validate your data, which is particularly helpful when multiple team members are contributing to the same spreadsheet. This includes restricting the data that can appear in a spreadsheet by setting value limits, pre-populating data with drop-down lists, and other methods. He also shows how to avoid mistakes in formulas, how to hide data that doesn't need to be seen, and how to use workbook protection to prevent errors, and more.
- Streamlining data entry steps
- Using Excel shortcuts and automation features
- Protecting worksheets and workbooks
- Validating data
- Basing entries on formulas
- Detecting errors in formulas
- Using Range Names
- Finding mistakes in large, complex spreadsheets