Join Dennis Taylor for an in-depth discussion in this video Using date and time controls and functions in data validation rules, part of Excel 2013: Working with Dates and Times.
…Excel's data validation tool, located on the…Data tab in the ribbon, gives us tremendous…tools for working with data, and on a date basis and time basis where needed.…Let's imagine a company is starting up here and they're already taking orders.…The entries in column A are valid dates in 2013.…Let's say, for a while, in this file, they want to…make sure that the only entries here come from this year.…There's no rule in place right now, but we want to make sure that…any order date that appears in column A is out of the year 2013.…
Now, many, many times but certainly not always when you're working with data…validation, selecting the entire column is the right and most efficient thing to do.…So clicking column a and then on the data tab going to the feature data validation.…We're going to establish a setting here, not…to allow just any value here but, a date.…And immediately what pops up is the option for between.…We can certainly use that but let's say in this case…we might want to how about equal to greater than less than.…
- Understanding how Excel records and stores dates and times
- Looking at standard date and time entry options and acceptable alternatives
- Using the TODAY and NOW functions
- Customizing date formats
- Using keyboard shortcuts
- Formatting time for hours over 24
- Calculating differences across dates and times
- Calculating the day of the week
- Working with holidays
- Validating dates
- Converting formatted dates to usable data
Skill Level Intermediate
1. The Excel Date and Time Systems
2. Creating Date and Time Entries
Instant date and time entry1m 28s
3. Date and Time Formatting
4. Date and Time Functions
5. Calculating with Dates and Times
6. Using Dates and Times with Excel Commands
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.