Although less frequently used than in the past - mostly because of the expansion of the SUMIF family of functions, Database Functions let you provide summary information based on a list and on a criteria range , the latter set up in the same way as you use a criteria range when filtering data with the Advanced Filter.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
- [Voiceover] Excel has a category of functions…called Database functions.…We're looking at a worksheet called DB functions.…Now what if you heard that phrase,…database function, said I wonder what these are all about.…I'm gonna go to the Forumlas tab here,…and see if we can track down these functions.…Well, we've got financial, logical, text,…I don't see database here,…but we do have this category out here,…called More Functions.…Let's click this.…And what do we see, we're not seeing database.…That's a bit strange.…Now, if we click on an empty cell somewhere,…and then, just to the left of the Formula bar,…click the fx button, under Select a Category,…drop arrow, there's that category called database.…
And we see a bunch of functions here,…notice how they all begin with the letter D…and many of them are followed by functions…that you probably recognize,…like average and max and min and so on.…Let's cancel here and use one of these within context.…Now, using these functions, requires some knowledge…of how to use, from the Data tab, the Advanced Filter.…
- Prepping data for analysis
- Multiple-key sorting
- Sorting by rows or by columns
- Setting single- and multi-level subtotals
- Using text, numeric, and date filters
- Creating custom filters
- Filtering tables using slicers
- Using Advanced Filter
- Eliminating duplicate data
- Using SUMIF and COUNTIF functions for quick data analysis
- Working with the database functions such as DSUM and DMAX
Skill Level Intermediate
Excel Workshop: Working with Real-Time Datawith Chris Dutton1h 18m Intermediate
Data-Analysis Fundamentals with Excelwith Curt Frye2h 24m Beginner
Learn Microsoft Power BI Desktop: The Basicswith Gini von Courter2h 55m Intermediate
1. Data Preparation
2. Sorting Data
3. Creating Automatic Subtotals in Sorted Lists
4. Filtering Data
5. Advanced Filter
6. Eliminating Duplicate Data
7. Data Analysis Tools
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.