Join Dennis Taylor for an in-depth discussion in this video Using ampersands and CONCATENATE to combine data from different cells, part of Excel 2011 for the Mac: Advanced Formulas and Functions.
- In this worksheet called Concatenate,…we've got data in columns A, B, and C.…It might be more efficient if we can pull…that data together and put it into a single cell,…starting here in cell D2.…Two broad techniques.…One is a function called CONCATENATE.…And the other is a technique referred to as concatenation.…Similar in nature and yet different.…Here's the function.…CONCATENATE, as soon as we see it…on the screen here, tab it into place.…CONCATENATE allows us to gather…information from different cells.…
Let's imagine what we want to put together…is the following kind of sequence:…Baker, Mark S for this first entry.…In other words, last name, comma, space,…first name, space, then middle initial.…So, D2, what do we want to see after this?…A comma and a space?…That's a text string.…We put it within double quotes.…So, double quote, space, comma, space, double quote.…Next thing we need, following the comma, is first name.…
It's in cell A2, comma, and then after that another space.…Double quote, space, double quote.…
- Using absolute, relative, and mixed references
- Using the Formula Builder
- Converting formulas to values
- Creating 3D formulas to gather data from multiple sheets
- Creating and expanding the use of nested IF statements
- Looking up information with VLOOKUP, MATCH, and INDEX
- Using the power functions: COUNTIF, SUMIF, and AVERAGEIF
- Analyzing data with the statistical functions
- Calculating payment
- Performing basic math
- Determining dates and times
- Editing text with functions
- Analyzing data with arrays
Skill Level Advanced
Excel for Mac 2011 Essential Trainingwith Curt Frye6h 32m Beginner
1. Formula and Function Tools
2. Formula and Function Tips and Shortcuts
3. IF and Related Functions
4. Lookup and Reference Functions
5. Statistical Functions
6. Power Functions
7. Selected Financial Functions
8. Selected Math Functions
9. Date and Time Functions
10. Text Functions
11. Array Formulas and Functions
12. Reference Functions
13. Information Functions
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.