Join Curt Frye for an in-depth discussion in this video Turning off screen updating within a macro, part of Learning VBA in Excel.
Excel runs its macros extremely quickly, especially on contemporary computers…that have multiple processors and gigabytes of memory.…When an Excel VBA routine changes from one worksheet to another at high speed,…you get screen flash.…It's not a big deal while you are testing your code,…in fact it lets you know your macros working, but it does degrade the user experience.…Let me show you what happens when I have a macro that has, in this case a bunch…of unnecessary switches from worksheet to worksheet, but I wanted to show you…what screen flicker looks like.…If I type in my name and my e-mail and, "Again, more cinnamon,"…and click Add Suggestion, which runs the macro that copies this data back to Sheet3,…you see that you got screen flicker.…
Now the macro worked correctly, but again the user experience isn't all it could be.…There is a way to prevent screen from flashing while Excel runs your code and…switches from worksheet to worksheet.…I will press Alt+F11 and show you how to do that.…The command that you used is Application.ScreenUpdating = False.…
- Working in the Visual Basic Editor
- Adding code to a macro
- Creating, exporting, and deleting code modules
- Declaring and using variables
- Managing variable scope
- Defining arrays
- Managing workbooks and worksheets with VBA
- Repeating tasks with loops
- Debugging VBA code
- Cutting, copying, and pasting cell data
- Running and triggering event procedures
Skill Level Advanced
Excel 2010: Tips, Tricks, and Shortcutswith Dennis Taylor3h 43m Intermediate
1. Introducing Visual Basic for Applications (VBA)
2. Defining Variables, Constants, and Calculations
3. Adding Logic to Your VBA Code
4. Debugging Your VBA Code
5. Managing Workbook Elements and Data in VBA
6. Adding Advanced Elements to Your Workbook
7. Using Excel Events in Your VBA Code
8. Putting It All Together
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.