Join Bill Shander for an in-depth discussion in this video Text, part of Data Visualization Storytelling Essentials.
- [Voiceover] I'm a data visualization guy.…As I've argued in my other courses,…you have to visualize data to maximize…your impact on almost any audience.…We are much better at seeing patterns…and outliers in data when it's visual…than when it's a bunch of numbers…on a page or a screen.…But in this course, I'd be remiss…if I didn't make the point that data storytelling…can be done without lots of crazy visuals…and interactivity.…You can tell a great story primarily in text…using data as your backdrop.…With text and supplemental charts,…data can be great fodder for interesting stories,…yes, with supplemental charts.…
Any story with data will always be better…if there's at least some visual component…to bring the ideas home.…There are tons of sources for great data stories…online and print, all over the place, really.…From newspapers and non-governmental organizations,…nonprofits, think tanks, and many others.…This example comes from the Urban Institute,…and the actual content here,…nine charts as it's said,…nine chunks of story.…
Join data visualization expert Bill Shander as he guides you through the process of turning "facts and figures" into "story" to engage and fulfill our human expectation for information. This course is intended for anyone who works with data and has to communicate it to others, whether a researcher, a data analyst, a consultant, a marketer, or a journalist. Bill shows you how to think about, and craft, stories from data by examining many compelling stories in detail.
- Creating a narrative structure for data
- Applying narrative to data
- Identifying what you want to say with the data
- Analyzing what your data is saying
- Determining what your audience needs to hear
- Leveraging tables, charts, and visuals
- Ensuring your narrative provides context and direction