In this video, the instructor introduces and demonstrates a number of text-specific functions in DAX, including LEN, CONCATENATE, UPPER/LOWER/PROPER, LEFT/MID/RIGHT, SEARCH, and SUBSTITUTE.
- [Instructor] Let's talk about text functions in DAX,…and if you're a longtime Excel user,…I've got some good news for you,…because these will all look very, very familiar,…and the syntax will too.…So I'm gonna kinda and breeze through these,…because to be totally honest, there's not much new in DAX…as far as text functions are concerned.…So length returns the number of characters in a string.…Very simple syntax, you just point…to column containing the text.…Concatenate joins two text strings into one.…
You can type out the full concatenate function name,…or if you prefer to do things the easy way,…you just use an ampersand.…And don't mistake that for the double ampersand…which is the replacement for the and function.…Just a single ampersand is what you use…to stitch those two strings into one.…To be honest, I can't even remember the last time I wrote…an entire concatenate function name.…And you've got left, mid, right.…These pull a certain number of characters…from either the start, the middle,…or the end of a text string.…
- Power Pivots versus normal pivots
- Creating calculated columns and measures
- Power Pivot and DAX best practices
- Math, stats, and COUNT functions
- CALCULATE, FILTER, and ALL functions
- Joining data with RELATED
- Using iterator functions (SUMX and RANKX)
- Time intelligence formulas
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Getting Started
Set expectations1m 46s
2. Power Pivot and DAX 101
3. Common DAX Functions
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.