Join Bill Shander for an in-depth discussion in this video Storytelling is essential, part of Data Visualization Storytelling Essentials.
- [Voiceover] Your primary job as a human…is to be a communicator.…Full stop.…Many studies have shown that humans spend…70 to 80% of their waking hours communicating.…So regardless of your quote unquote job,…you're a communicator first and foremost.…Think about it, if a tree falls in a forest et cetera,…if you do your data analysis and discover wonderful things…but don't tell anyone about it,…did it really happen?…Or, in today's parlance,…pics or it didn't happen, right?…And in case you want to argue with that point…and say, "Yeah, but you know, I work in a dungeon,…"crunching spreadsheets and handing those to a marketer…"who worries about what to say about it."…Well, first, you probably have to explain…what's going on to the marketer, right?…Also, perhaps more importantly,…there was a survey of about 400 recruiters…of college graduates studying…business intelligence and analytics…that found that the highest ranked…of all desired skills was communication.…
So if you're looking to be hired,…the best thing you can do, literally number one,…
Join data visualization expert Bill Shander as he guides you through the process of turning "facts and figures" into "story" to engage and fulfill our human expectation for information. This course is intended for anyone who works with data and has to communicate it to others, whether a researcher, a data analyst, a consultant, a marketer, or a journalist. Bill shows you how to think about, and craft, stories from data by examining many compelling stories in detail.
- Creating a narrative structure for data
- Applying narrative to data
- Identifying what you want to say with the data
- Analyzing what your data is saying
- Determining what your audience needs to hear
- Leveraging tables, charts, and visuals
- Ensuring your narrative provides context and direction