Join Curt Frye for an in-depth discussion in this video Stepping through a subroutine or function, part of Learning VBA in Excel.
Running a subroutine without stopping is one way to verify your work,…but sometimes the only way to find an error, or discover how an unfamiliar…program works, is to move through it step-by-step.…As an example, let's take this workbook where I'm tracking the amount of money…that I owe to various taxing authorities.…In this case, I owe $1,400 to the city of Albany, in the State of New York.…I do have a couple of subroutines that I'll use in combination with data.…So let me rearrange my windows, so that I'll have the workbook on the left and…the code window on the right.…
I have three subroutines: DisplayInfo, DisplayState, and DisplayCity.…The main one is DisplayInfo.…So I will click in it, and then to move through the subroutines step-by-step, I will press F8.…When I press F8, the Excel Visual Basic Editor goes into Break mode, which means…that it will stop after every step.…So if I press F8 again, it goes to the next line, which is to activate cell B7.…When I press F8 again, it activates that cell, as you can see over here in the…
- Working in the Visual Basic Editor
- Adding code to a macro
- Creating, exporting, and deleting code modules
- Declaring and using variables
- Managing variable scope
- Defining arrays
- Managing workbooks and worksheets with VBA
- Repeating tasks with loops
- Debugging VBA code
- Cutting, copying, and pasting cell data
- Running and triggering event procedures
Skill Level Advanced
Excel 2010: Tips, Tricks, and Shortcutswith Dennis Taylor3h 43m Intermediate
1. Introducing Visual Basic for Applications (VBA)
2. Defining Variables, Constants, and Calculations
3. Adding Logic to Your VBA Code
4. Debugging Your VBA Code
5. Managing Workbook Elements and Data in VBA
6. Adding Advanced Elements to Your Workbook
7. Using Excel Events in Your VBA Code
8. Putting It All Together
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.