In this video, Chris reviews common PivotTable sorting options, including manual selections, alphabetical, ascending/descending, and custom value-based sorting.
- [Instructor] Alright, welcome to section four,…sorting, filtering, and grouping.…Now up to this point, we've been really sticking…with the basics.…We learned how to bring in and insert pivot tables,…manipulate views, deal with source data,…and use formatting tools to customize the look and feel,…but realistically, we're not even scratching the surface…in terms of how powerful these pivot tables can be.…And this section is designed…to start to show you some of those capabilities,…specifically in terms of sorting, filtering, and grouping.…And these are the tools that will start to allow you…to slice and dice and explore and really analyze your data…in much more meaningful ways.…
So when you're looking at a pivot…for any of your column headers,…you should see this little drop-down menu…which activates the sorting and filtering options.…You can also right click on any value within the column…to get to the same menu.…And in here, you'll see a combination of sorting options…like A to Z, Z to A, or More Sort Options…
- Establishing a layer convention and property filters
- Structuring your source data
- How PivotTables actually work
- Number formatting and conditional formatting
- Sorting and grouping options
- Troubleshooting incorrect sorting
- Value summarization and value calculation modes
- Inserting calculated items
- Visualizing data with PivotCharts
- Designing interactive dashboards
Skill Level Intermediate
Learning Excel Data-Analysis (2015)with Curt Frye2h 24m Beginner
Part 1: Introduction1m 8s
1. Getting Started
Getting to know IMDb2m 21s
2. PivotTable 101
3. PivotTable Formatting
4. Sorting, Filtering, and Grouping
5. Calculated Values, Fields, and Items
6. Visualizing Data with PivotCharts
7. Wrapping Up
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.