Using the single AZ and ZA buttons on the data tab is the fastest way to sort a list based on data in a single column. In addition, using one of these keys to sort means that the previous sort order becomes the second level sort order and the second level sort becomes the third level, and so on.
- [Voiceover] As you look at this worksheet…called Icon Sort, you can see it's in order…by the employee name, column A.…There's our list up there.…We can double click the bottom edge, zip down to the bottom,…there's Julian Zimmerman in the last row.…It's sorted in that order.…Now, I might want to sort this in department order.…On the Data tab, there are three sort buttons:…A single AZ button, single ZA button,…sometimes we call them icons,…you got the larger sort button here.…Now if there's any doubt about…what you're trying to do with sorting, be methodical,…take your time, use the sort button,…the large one right here and explore some of the options…within there but once you become more familiar…with sorting and more confident with it,…and you're in a bit of a hurry sometimes too,…if we want to rearrange the rows in this data…by sorting based on column C, we need only click…within column C and then simply use the AZ button…to sort alphabetically, that's what we wanna do.…
Sorting reverse alphabetically is uncommon,…
- Prepping data for analysis
- Multiple-key sorting
- Sorting by rows or by columns
- Setting single- and multi-level subtotals
- Using text, numeric, and date filters
- Creating custom filters
- Filtering tables using slicers
- Using Advanced Filter
- Eliminating duplicate data
- Using SUMIF and COUNTIF functions for quick data analysis
- Working with the database functions such as DSUM and DMAX
Skill Level Intermediate
Excel Workshop: Working with Real-Time Datawith Chris Dutton1h 18m Intermediate
Data-Analysis Fundamentals with Excelwith Curt Frye2h 24m Beginner
Learn Microsoft Power BI Desktop: The Basicswith Gini von Courter2h 55m Intermediate
1. Data Preparation
2. Sorting Data
3. Creating Automatic Subtotals in Sorted Lists
4. Filtering Data
5. Advanced Filter
6. Eliminating Duplicate Data
7. Data Analysis Tools
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.