Join Dennis Taylor for an in-depth discussion in this video Sorting data in random order, part of Excel 2011 for the Mac: Managing and Analyzing Data.
- On this worksheet called Randomsort,…we're looking at a list covering some transaction data…over a two year period.…I'll click on a cell, double-click its bottom edge…just to remind myself, we've got up to 900,…over 900 rows of data here.…Double-clicking the top edge of the bottom cell back up top.…Now, sorting in a random order…isn't that important to a lot of people,…but at other times it could be.…Maybe we don't have any real form of quality control here,…but what we do periodically is take 10 of these records…and just review them, we'll pick 'em at random,…and then compare them with some of the other data that…we have on this same kind of transaction list here.…
So, variety of different reasons for using this.…We want our list to be randomized.…Let's just use the next field to the right…that's available, just put in a dummy heading.…I usually put in a couple letters or something,…makes no difference what they are.…And then we're gonna use the function =RAND(, R-A-N-D,…left parenthesis, you don't have to type…
- Multiple-key sorting
- Sorting columns left-to-right
- Filtering columns
- Creating a top-ten list with values or percentages
- Using Advanced Filter for complex filters
- Setting up subtotals
- Using the Remove Duplicates command
- Using SUMIF, COUNTIF, and related functions
- Working with the database functions, such as DSUM and DMAX
Skill Level Intermediate
Financial Literacy: Reading Financial Reportswith Rudolph Rosenberg1h 25m Appropriate for all
Excel for Mac 2011 Essential Trainingwith Curt Frye6h 32m Beginner
Migrating from Excel 2008 for Mac to Excel 2011with David Rivers1h 10m Appropriate for all
1. Sorting Data
2. Filtering Data
3. Advanced Filter
4. Creating Automatic Subtotals in Sorted Lists
5. Eliminating Duplicate Data
6. Data Analysis Tools
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.