Without regard to cell content, you can sort a list based on Cell Color (fill color), Font Color, or Cell Icon (as applied through the Conditional Formatting option called Icon Sets available on the Home tab). Use the large Sort button on the Data tab and locate these options in the Sort on section.
- [Voiceover] On this worksheet called HR List Color,…no doubt you've recognized that certain rows…have color applied to them.…See the green, pink, blue, yellow, and probably, well,…that's it, just those colors, applied to some of the rows.…And they're not based on content,…at least reviewing a few of these.…If they were, we could do a standard sort.…You might also notice that in column J we've got icons.…You can sort on the basis of color background,…color font, or cell icon.…Cell icons, by the way, are a byproduct…of conditional formatting.…
Let's first sort this list based on color.…And let's also say that within each color…we want these alphabetical by employee name…and for the cells that are blank we want them…to be alphabetical by employee name.…And we can put these in any order we want,…including maybe have the blanks between two of these,…if we wished, or have it at the bottom.…So making sure that our data is intact,…just click with inside it, press control A,…press control period a few times,…goes down to row 742, we're all set.…
- Prepping data for analysis
- Multiple-key sorting
- Sorting by rows or by columns
- Setting single- and multi-level subtotals
- Using text, numeric, and date filters
- Creating custom filters
- Filtering tables using slicers
- Using Advanced Filter
- Eliminating duplicate data
- Using SUMIF and COUNTIF functions for quick data analysis
- Working with the database functions such as DSUM and DMAX
Skill Level Intermediate
Working with Real-Time Data in Excelwith Chris Dutton1h 18m Intermediate
Learning Microsoft Power BI Desktop (2016)with Gini von Courter2h 52m Intermediate
1. Data Preparation
2. Sorting Data
3. Creating Automatic Subtotals in Sorted Lists
4. Filtering Data
5. Advanced Filter
6. Eliminating Duplicate Data
7. Data Analysis Tools
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.