If the order that you need to sort a text field by is neither A to Z nor Z to A, you can base sorting on the order of text in a Custom List. You need only create such a list once - it then is available on the current computer in any workbook indefinitely when you sort using the larger sort button on the Data tab.
- in this worksheet called Custom Lists,…I want to sort the data on the basis…of what's in Column F, the Status entries,…so I'll click on any cell in Column F,…and then on the Data tab of the ribbon,…I'll choose Single A-Z button,…and Sort A to Z, alphabetical,…and there it is.…Excel did its job, but as I scroll through this,…I'm reminding myself, we've got contract people,…but we've got full time people here,…and I'd like to see them first.…Later we see halftime and hourly.…Why can't I sort so the Full time is first.…
I could do a reverse sort, sort descending order,…but that's going to be the hourly people at the top,…so off the the right here, I do have a list,…you might call it my wish list right now.…That's the order that I want to see.…Now, I wish I could tell you that when we sort,…it would be real great, if we could simply pop over here,…and highlight this, and say sort on this basis.…Not quite so simple, not difficult, but what we need to do,…is to set up this list as a custom list.…You need only do this once, and from thereon in,…
- Prepping data for analysis
- Multiple-key sorting
- Sorting by rows or by columns
- Setting single- and multi-level subtotals
- Using text, numeric, and date filters
- Creating custom filters
- Filtering tables using slicers
- Using Advanced Filter
- Eliminating duplicate data
- Using SUMIF and COUNTIF functions for quick data analysis
- Working with the database functions such as DSUM and DMAX
Skill Level Intermediate
Working with Real-Time Data in Excelwith Chris Dutton1h 18m Intermediate
Learning Microsoft Power BI Desktop (2016)with Gini von Courter2h 52m Intermediate
1. Data Preparation
2. Sorting Data
3. Creating Automatic Subtotals in Sorted Lists
4. Filtering Data
5. Advanced Filter
6. Eliminating Duplicate Data
7. Data Analysis Tools
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.