Join Dennis Taylor for an in-depth discussion in this video Sorting based on the order of data in custom lists, part of Excel 2011 for the Mac: Managing and Analyzing Data.
- In this worksheet called Custom Lists…I'm about to sort the list on the basis of column F,…the Status.…And I'll use the menu icon sort,…which is very fast.…I'll simply click one of the cells in column F,…makes no difference which one.…And then on the Data tab in the ribbon…I want this to be in Ascending order.…If the button is Z A, I'll simply click it once,…twice, and there we are, it's in ascending order.…But as I'm looking at this I'm thinking,…gee, the Contract people are first,…you know, the Full Time people, they run the company,…I want them to be first.…
Could I do a reverse alphabetical, a Z A sort?…Well that still won't put them at the top of the list.…The two other names that we see here,…the two other kinds of Status…are Half Time and Hourly.…So whether we sort in ascending order or descending order…we're not gonna get the Full Time people…at the top of the list.…So how can we control this?…By way of what's called a Custom List.…Now off to the right on this same worksheet…I've got the names of those statuses in the order…
- Multiple-key sorting
- Sorting columns left-to-right
- Filtering columns
- Creating a top-ten list with values or percentages
- Using Advanced Filter for complex filters
- Setting up subtotals
- Using the Remove Duplicates command
- Using SUMIF, COUNTIF, and related functions
- Working with the database functions, such as DSUM and DMAX
Skill Level Intermediate
Financial Literacy: Reading Financial Reportswith Rudolph Rosenberg1h 25m Appropriate for all
Excel for Mac 2011 Essential Trainingwith Curt Frye6h 32m Beginner
1. Sorting Data
2. Filtering Data
3. Advanced Filter
4. Creating Automatic Subtotals in Sorted Lists
5. Eliminating Duplicate Data
6. Data Analysis Tools
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.