In this video, the instructor demonstrates how to use the Running Total and % Running Total calculation options to customize how values are displayed within the PivotTable, and analyze them in terms of incremental impact to a rolling total.
- [Instructor] All right, so we talked about…how difference from and percent difference from…can be a great way to analyze time series data.…One thing that I want to call out before we move on…is the fact that the difference from calculations…use what's called positional references,…meaning that these calculations are specifically…based on the structure and order…of these relative fields, genre and years.…And because they use positional references,…it does limit some of the sorting options…that it otherwise would have had.…
So, for genre, if I wanted to sort these…descending by gross revenue,…I'm no longer able to do that because…I'm using custom calculations,…in this case my difference from and percent…difference from calculations…that use positional references.…So, when you run into this error,…it may limit you from doing some of the sorting options…that you could have done otherwise.…So you may need to do any sorting that you need to…before applying or adding these custom calculations.…
So, moving on, the next show values as calculation…
- Establishing a layer convention and property filters
- Structuring your source data
- How PivotTables actually work
- Number formatting and conditional formatting
- Sorting and grouping options
- Troubleshooting incorrect sorting
- Value summarization and value calculation modes
- Inserting calculated items
- Visualizing data with PivotCharts
- Designing interactive dashboards
Skill Level Intermediate
Learning Excel Data-Analysis (2015)with Curt Frye2h 24m Beginner
Part 1: Introduction1m 8s
1. Getting Started
Getting to know IMDb2m 21s
2. PivotTable 101
3. PivotTable Formatting
4. Sorting, Filtering, and Grouping
5. Calculated Values, Fields, and Items
6. Visualizing Data with PivotCharts
7. Wrapping Up
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.