In this video, the instructor demonstrates how to use the Rank calculation option to customize how values are displayed within the PivotTable, and analyze them as relative ranks within a given set of row or column labels.
- [Instructor] The next show-values-as calculation…that I want to cover is a pretty simple one called rank.…So in our pivot table view, I don't need…both of these columns, D and E, anymore.…So I'm going to pull out the third instance, gross revenue.…And let's go ahead and edit column D…to show these values as a rank, rather than…the running total.…So I'm going to go in my show-values-as option,…and go all the way down to my rank options.…Now I can choose either smallest to largest,…or largest to smallest.…If I choose largest to smallest,…that means that the highest revenue total…within a given parent field, will return a one.…
If I choose smallest to largest,…the smallest value within that range…will return a one.…So in this case, let's go with the largest to smallest,…and the base field will determine,…kind of the range of data that we care about.…So if we choose years here, the output will essentially be…a ranking from one to four within each of these genres.…And what that will tell me is which of the four years…
- Establishing a layer convention and property filters
- Structuring your source data
- How PivotTables actually work
- Number formatting and conditional formatting
- Sorting and grouping options
- Troubleshooting incorrect sorting
- Value summarization and value calculation modes
- Inserting calculated items
- Visualizing data with PivotCharts
- Designing interactive dashboards
Skill Level Intermediate
Learning Excel Data-Analysis (2015)with Curt Frye2h 24m Beginner
Part 1: Introduction1m 8s
1. Getting Started
Getting to know IMDb2m 21s
2. PivotTable 101
3. PivotTable Formatting
4. Sorting, Filtering, and Grouping
5. Calculated Values, Fields, and Items
6. Visualizing Data with PivotCharts
7. Wrapping Up
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.