In this video, the instructor demonstrates how to use the % of Parent calculation option to customize how values are displayed within the PivotTable, and analyze them as percentages based on a specific set of row or column labels.
- [Instructor] Next up, let's talk…about the show values as calculation…called percent of parent.…And to demonstrate what that means,…we're going to adjust our view a bit.…Instead of showing genre as column labels,…going to nest it under country as secondary row labels,…and we'll continue to show gross revenue.…Let's just double check that we're currently…showing as percent of column total.…So this might be the view that you're looking for,…assuming you're looking for insight…at the country and genre level.…
What this allows you to do is say, okay,…for the USA as a whole, revenue accounted for 89.4 percent…of the grand total, which, again, all the way at the bottom,…equates to 100 percent.…Australia only accounted for 0.81 percent,…and then if you drill a level deeper,…biography movies produced in the USA…accounted for 3.39 percent of the total.…It's important to note that if we add…these genre-level subtotals up, they equate…to 89.4 percent, which is the USA total, not 100 percent.…
But what if we wanted each country…
- Establishing a layer convention and property filters
- Structuring your source data
- How PivotTables actually work
- Number formatting and conditional formatting
- Sorting and grouping options
- Troubleshooting incorrect sorting
- Value summarization and value calculation modes
- Inserting calculated items
- Visualizing data with PivotCharts
- Designing interactive dashboards
Skill Level Intermediate
Learning Excel Data-Analysis (2015)with Curt Frye2h 24m Beginner
Part 1: Introduction1m 8s
1. Getting Started
Getting to know IMDb2m 21s
2. PivotTable 101
3. PivotTable Formatting
4. Sorting, Filtering, and Grouping
5. Calculated Values, Fields, and Items
6. Visualizing Data with PivotCharts
7. Wrapping Up
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.