In this video, the instructor shows how to transform values into index numbers, and explains how these indices can be used to understand the impact of changes to one set of values on another.
- [Narrator] Alright, now the last show values as…calculation that I want to share…with you guys is one called index,…and this is by far the most mysterious calculation.…It's a bit more complicated than the other calculations…and as a result a lot of people never even use it.…So allow me to clarify exactly what…the index calculation is used for…and how you might be able to apply it in different ways.…So in our PivotTable, let's go ahead and…pull out this rank calculation…that we created in the last lecture…and instead of looking at data by year,…I'm going to pull years out into the filters column…and I actually want to look at a five-year sample of data,…so I'm going to select 2011 as well.…
Press OK, and now I want to look at…a two-dimensional view of this data.…So instead of just by genre, I want to also…compare by country as columns.…But instead of all of these columns…where you have a lot of really…low-volume countries mixed in here,…it's just kind of adding noise,…so I'll apply a value filter to the country columns.…
- Establishing a layer convention and property filters
- Structuring your source data
- How PivotTables actually work
- Number formatting and conditional formatting
- Sorting and grouping options
- Troubleshooting incorrect sorting
- Value summarization and value calculation modes
- Inserting calculated items
- Visualizing data with PivotCharts
- Designing interactive dashboards
Skill Level Intermediate
Part 1: Introduction1m 8s
1. Getting Started
Getting to know IMDb2m 21s
2. PivotTable 101
3. PivotTable Formatting
4. Sorting, Filtering, and Grouping
5. Calculated Values, Fields, and Items
6. Visualizing Data with PivotCharts
7. Wrapping Up
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.