Join Curt Frye for an in-depth discussion in this video Setting the problem's criteria in Solver, part of Solving Optimization and Scheduling Problems in Excel.
- This worksheet contains all the data and formulas…we need to solve our transportation problem.…We know how many train cars are…available at each yard.…That's the capacity.…We know how many are required at each depot,…that's here in Requirement,…and we know how much it will cost…to send cars between each pair…of yard and depot,…so from Minneapolis to Newport News…we have a cost of 0.6.…What we need to do now is…to create a Solver model that will…find the most efficient, that is cost-effective,…way to send cars based on…availability and cost.…
My sample workbook is Transportation_Model.…It's an Excel file that you can find in…the Chapter 4 folder of the…Exercise Files Collection.…To begin working in Solver,…I'll click the DATA tab on the ribbon,…and then, in the analysis group…I'll click Solver.…Now we can go ahead and create our model.…Our total cost, which is the objective…we want to minimize,…is calculated in cell C20,…so with the insertion point flashing…in the Set Objective box…I'll click cell C20.…
We want to minimize the cost,…
- Finding target values using Goal Seek
- Organizing worksheets
- Finding a solution using Solver
- Solving linear and nonlinear mixture problems
- Solving transportation problems
- Solving resource scheduling or sports scheduling problems
- Analyzing Solver results
Skill Level Intermediate
Excel 2013: Managing and Analyzing Datawith Dennis Taylor2h 2m Intermediate
Excel 2013: Data Validation in Depthwith Dennis Taylor1h 5m Intermediate
Cleaning Up Your Excel 2013 Datawith Dennis Taylor1h 59m Appropriate for all
1. Working with Solver
2. Solving a Linear Mixture Problem
3. Solving a Nonlinear Mixture Problem
4. Solving a Transportation Problem
5. Solving a Resource Scheduling Optimization Problem
6. Solving a Sports Scheduling Problem
7. Analyzing Your Solver Results
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.