Join Curt Frye for an in-depth discussion in this video Setting breakpoints in the code, part of Up and Running with VBA in Excel.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
In the previous movie, I showed you how to move through your code…step-by-step, and how to step in or out of subroutines or functions called…from the main procedure.…In this movie, I'll show you how to set breakpoints in your code.…When you set a breakpoint, Excel runs the code to the breakpoint and stops until…you tell it to continue.…While Excel is stopped, you can verify the values assigned to variables and…thereby determine whether your program is functioning correctly.…So I'll switch over from this workbook to the Visual Basic Editor, and you'll…see substantially the same code that I used in the previous module.…
To set a breakpoint in your code, you click the vertical bar to the left of the…Code Window, next to the line of code.…So let's say I wanted to click here to the left of the MsgBox (strState).…When I did, a brick red dot appeared in the vertical bar next to the Code Window.…Now, if I press F5 to run the code, it runs to that point, and then it enters Break mode.…If I want to keep running the code, I can either click the Continue button or press F5.…
- Working in the Visual Basic Editor
- Adding code to a macro
- Creating, exporting, and deleting code modules
- Declaring and using variables
- Managing variable scope
- Defining arrays
- Managing workbooks and worksheets with VBA
- Repeating tasks with loops
- Debugging VBA code
- Cutting, copying, and pasting cell data
- Running and triggering event procedures
Skill Level Advanced
1. Introducing Visual Basic for Applications (VBA)
2. Defining Variables, Constants, and Calculations
3. Adding Logic to Your VBA Code
4. Debugging Your VBA Code
5. Managing Workbook Elements and Data in VBA
6. Adding Advanced Elements to Your Workbook
7. Using Excel Events in Your VBA Code
8. Putting It All Together
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.