PivotTables make analysis in Excel as easy as drag and drop. Learn how to use this powerful tool to save yourself countless hours segmenting and analyzing your marketing data.
- [Instructor] If you're a marketer…and you don't know how to use pivot tables,…you're at a serious disadvantage.…Pivot tables make it easy to do analysis on the fly.…So let's work through how to use them.…If you'd like to follow along,…go to exercise file 3.3, segmenting your data…with pivot tables.…The data we have here is an export…from Google AdWords.…If you need to do an analysis on this type of data,…pivot tables are perfect.…So the way to use pivot tables is to click…anywhere in the data, go to Insert,…and then choose Pivot Table.…
You can choose where to put the pivot table.…I'm just going to put this in a new worksheet.…That creates a new sheet for me here.…Now to build this pivot table, I need to drag in…the metrics that I want.…So first I'm going to drag in Cost,…Impressions, Clicks, and Conversions.…Now this is already useful.…It's showing me how much I spent…across all my campaigns, how many impressions I served,…and how many clicks I got as well as how many conversions.…
But the great thing about pivot tables is that…
Michael begins with the basics, showing how to work with marketing data sources and explaining basic formulas for analysis. Next, he walks through how to build a data-driven marketing plan, including mapping out your marketing funnel, reviewing volume vs. cost tradeoff, and running A/B testing. Michael shows how to analyze a campaign's performance, working with PivotTables, charts, and dashboards. Finally, he demonstrates how to set up marketing campaigns in bulk, including manipulating text for ad copy generation and automating the most boring, repetitive tasks with macros.
- Cleaning up data formatting
- Using formulas for analysis
- Building a data-driven marketing plan
- Top-down vs. bottom-up marketing plans
- Running A/B tests
- Analyzing campaign performance
- Plotting data visually
- Building report templates and dashboards
- Building bulksheets for bulk campaigns on AdWords and Facebook