Join Dennis Taylor for an in-depth discussion in this video Reviewing text functions, part of Cleaning Up Your Excel 2010 Data.
Text functions in Excel can play an important role in cleaning up…and restructuring data.…Some of these functions let you adjust the appearance of upper- and lowercase;…others let you extract portions of data from cells.…There are quite a few different ones.…Why don't we take a look at just a few of these text functions, and we'll also…talk about another course here too that I'd recommend if you need more depth…in these functions,…an Excel 2010 or Excel 2007 course on advanced formulas and functions from lynda.com?…As we look at the data in column A, I think a lot of us would want to have those…names so that just the first letters were capitalized.…
It's going to take up less space. It tends to be more readable. And whenever we are…using text functions, it seems like most of the time we do need to have an extra…column, at least temporarily, to the right of our data.…So we've got some other examples in column D. We've got some unusual spacing…there that we'd like to control. Column F, maybe we would like to capitalize the letters.…
- Moving or inserting rows and columns of data with a simple drag
- Using Text to Columns
- Harnessing the Find and Replace command to replace data at the character level
- Dealing with special characters and wildcards during search
- Converting dates with text functions
- Converting text data to values/numbers
- Checking and correcting spelling mistakes
- Splitting data into multiple columns via the Text to Columns feature
- Combining data from different columns via concatenation
Skill Level Appropriate for all
Q: Where can I learn more about Excel formulas?
A: Discover more on this topic by visiting Excel formulas on lynda.com.