Join Dennis Taylor for an in-depth discussion in this video Retrieving information by location with INDEX, part of Excel 2010: Advanced Formulas and Functions.
We're looking at a sheet called INDEX, and that's the name of a function we…want to talk about.…A valuable tool in Excel's arsenal of LOOKUP functions is the INDEX function.…The INDEX function allows us to pull information out of a table, provided we…give the row and column reference.…So let's imagine that the list that we're looking at here in column C through…J--this list right here--contains various prices for mailing packages, for…example, to different zones.…
So maybe you're in zone 1, and you have to mail packages to different zones…across the country. And we've got sort of an arbitrary--maybe these are pounds…or maybe it's just some kind of a measure that shows package size.…Here is a list here that says we're talking about Size 3, and it has to go to Zone 6.…So we can see that it should be $35.29.…Let's imagine we want to provide a price here, no matter what these numbers are,…as long as they're within the appropriate range.…
So we know looking ahead here in this one example that the answer should be 35.29.…
- Referencing, copying, updating, and converting formulas
- Using the logical functions and creating compound logic tests
- Searching for and matching data based on specific criteria
- Reconfiguring cell data using text functions
- Calculating dates, times, and days of the week
- Analyzing mathematical and financial data
- Using the power functions, COUNTIFS, SUMIFS, and AVERAGEIFS
- Working with rounding functions
- Returning cell references
Skill Level Advanced
1. Formula and Function Tips and Shortcuts
2. Formula and Function Tools
3. IF and Related Functions
4. Lookup and Reference Functions
5. Power Functions
6. Statistical Functions
7. Date Functions
8. Math Functions
9. Array Formulas and Functions
10. Text Functions
11. Financial Functions
12. Information Functions
13. Reference Functions
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.