Join Bill Shander for an in-depth discussion in this video Repetition, part of Data Visualization Storytelling Essentials.
- [Narrator] Repetition and redundancy…in data stories are a compelling tool.…Recent research has found…that we can achieve measurable increases…in memorability of data visualizations…with certain types of repetition and redundancy.…This redundancy comes in three primary types.…First, there is message redundancy,…which is when the main conclusion or message…is presented in multiple ways.…But it's not just about labeling.…That same research report found that charts…that include a title that explains what the chart's about…are much more memorable than those without titles,…or with titles that aren't explaining…the message of the visualization.…
The simplest example is like this…where you have a chart,…in this case essentially a bar chart,…where you see the bar size,…which essentially gives you the data value…or at least the relative data value,…the larger one is larger than the smaller one,…but where you also have the number to the right.…So I can see, for instance here,…that this looks like about 65%,…but I also have the data value to the right,…
Join data visualization expert Bill Shander as he guides you through the process of turning "facts and figures" into "story" to engage and fulfill our human expectation for information. This course is intended for anyone who works with data and has to communicate it to others, whether a researcher, a data analyst, a consultant, a marketer, or a journalist. Bill shows you how to think about, and craft, stories from data by examining many compelling stories in detail.
- Creating a narrative structure for data
- Applying narrative to data
- Identifying what you want to say with the data
- Analyzing what your data is saying
- Determining what your audience needs to hear
- Leveraging tables, charts, and visuals
- Ensuring your narrative provides context and direction