Join Dennis Taylor for an in-depth discussion in this video Removing trailing minus signs while converting data to negative, part of Cleaning Up Your Excel 2010 Data.
Trailing minus signs, although common in some accounting software, just don't…work in Excel, and you need to get rid of them.…And just as important of course is not only getting rid of them, but making…sure that those values are turned into negatives.…And there is a fast way to take care of this.…Select the data, or in this case here let's select all of the data in Column T,…and simply use a feature that's available on the Data tab in the Ribbon, Text to…Columns, a great tool for splitting text into columns.…
But here, we're going to take care of the data within the existing cells.…We don't need an extra column to the right necessarily.…First step in this wizard, simply choose Delimited.…Move on to step two. Nothing really to do there.…Go onto step three and click the Advanced tab.…And the setting we're talking about might already be in place, but check it out…anyway, trailing minus for negative numbers.…Click OK, Finish, watch Column T, and you see what's happening.…
That's a value now.…I want to undo here and contrast the two in the following way…
- Moving or inserting rows and columns of data with a simple drag
- Using Text to Columns
- Harnessing the Find and Replace command to replace data at the character level
- Dealing with special characters and wildcards during search
- Converting dates with text functions
- Converting text data to values/numbers
- Checking and correcting spelling mistakes
- Splitting data into multiple columns via the Text to Columns feature
- Combining data from different columns via concatenation
Skill Level Appropriate for all
Q: Where can I learn more about Excel formulas?
A: Discover more on this topic by visiting Excel formulas on lynda.com.