Although the Filter button on the Data tab gives you enormous capability for filtering in a variety of ways, you cannot use this filter to bring together data that meets one OR another criterion instead of both criteria. Also, you cannot use filter to filter data by day of the week. The Advanced Filter meets both needs.
- [Voiceover] Despite all the strengths and flexibility…of the filtering capability in Excel,…there are some limitations.…On this worksheet called FilterLimitations,…we're looking at a list here,…and we'd like to come up with…a modified version of this list,…that shows anybody who's been here over 15 years,…or makes over 80,000.…Now as soon as we apply the filter for one of these fields…I think it becomes apparent what we're not able to see here.…If I choose Year here, on the drop filter,…Number Filters, Greater Than, 15,…we've chosen all records where the years are above 15.…
If we then go to the Comp column, and use Number Filters,…Greater Than 80,000, we now have a list,…comprised of all records for both conditions are true,…and we do want to see these records,…but what we're not seeing here…are all those people who have 15 years of service or fewer,…who make over 80,000.…And we're also not seeing in the list,…those people who make under 80,000,…but yet happen to have been here 16, 17, 18,…anybody over 15 years.…
- Prepping data for analysis
- Multiple-key sorting
- Sorting by rows or by columns
- Setting single- and multi-level subtotals
- Using text, numeric, and date filters
- Creating custom filters
- Filtering tables using slicers
- Using Advanced Filter
- Eliminating duplicate data
- Using SUMIF and COUNTIF functions for quick data analysis
- Working with the database functions such as DSUM and DMAX
Skill Level Intermediate
Working with Real-Time Data in Excelwith Chris Dutton1h 18m Intermediate
1. Data Preparation
2. Sorting Data
3. Creating Automatic Subtotals in Sorted Lists
4. Filtering Data
5. Advanced Filter
6. Eliminating Duplicate Data
7. Data Analysis Tools
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.