Join Dennis Taylor for an in-depth discussion in this video Recognizing the limitations of standard filtering, part of Excel 2011 for the Mac: Managing and Analyzing Data.
- In this workbook, we're looking at a worksheet…called Filter Limitations.…Despite the versatility and general ease of use…of filtering in Excel, there are some limitations.…And on the Data menu at the top of the screen,…you'll recognize there is a choice…called advance filter,…which we will be covering in later movies.…But as we activate filter here,…let's recognize some things we can not do…with this kind of filtering.…I'm interested in seeing anybody who has worked here…15 or more years or who makes more than $80,000.…
Now, if I apply either of these filters first,…for example, year, I'm going to choose here…under Choose One, greater than or equal to 15.…In the background, we're only seeing people…who meet that criteria.…Now, if I go to the Comp field…and choose anybody making over $80,000,…then I'm answering the question…how many people or which people meet both criteria,…not either criterian, but both at the same time.…
It just can not be done.…One way to phrase this is,…if we're trying to use the or group,…
- Multiple-key sorting
- Sorting columns left-to-right
- Filtering columns
- Creating a top-ten list with values or percentages
- Using Advanced Filter for complex filters
- Setting up subtotals
- Using the Remove Duplicates command
- Using SUMIF, COUNTIF, and related functions
- Working with the database functions, such as DSUM and DMAX
Skill Level Intermediate
Financial Literacy: Reading Financial Reportswith Rudolph Rosenberg1h 25m Appropriate for all
Excel for Mac 2011 Essential Trainingwith Curt Frye6h 32m Beginner
1. Sorting Data
2. Filtering Data
3. Advanced Filter
4. Creating Automatic Subtotals in Sorted Lists
5. Eliminating Duplicate Data
6. Data Analysis Tools
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.