In the previous video, I showed you how to calculate the interest rate behind an investment. In this video, I’ll show you how to discover the amount you’ll receive when you know the length of the investment and its interest rate. To make this calculation, you’ll use the information I just listed and the RECEIVED function.
- [Instructor] When you make an investment…in which you are fully vested, that is,…you'll receive the entire proceeds of the investment,…you can calculate the economic value of that investment…using several different arguments.…In this movie, I will show you how…to use the received function to calculate…the economic value of an investment.…The sample file is ValueAtMaturity_05_03…and you can find it in the chapter five folder…of your exercise files collection.…The scenario I'm presenting here is that…you have a security such as a bond…and you have a settlement date,…in this case we're assuming you purchased it…on July 13, 2016.…
The maturity date of December 5, 2019.…That you're investing $100,…and that the discount rate, that is,…the amount that you could get investing…with almost zero risk, is 5.75%.…And also using a basis argument of one,…that all interest is compounded at the end of a period.…So let's click in cell C9…and create the formula that we need to use.…
So I'll type equal and the function is received.…
- Analyzing loans, payments, and interest
- Calculating depreciation
- Determining values and rates of return
- Calculating bond coupon dates and security durations
- Calculating security prices and yields
- Calculating prices and yields of securities with odd periods
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Analyzing Loans, Payments, and Interest
2. Calculating Depreciation
3. Determining Values and Rates of Return
4. Calculating Bond Coupon Dates and Security Durations
5. Calculating Security Prices and Yields
6. Calculating Prices and Yields of Securities with Odd Periods
Additional resources1m 24s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.