PivotTables can be an incredibly useful tool for creating brand-new tables from existing source data, whether you want to aggregate your data at a different level of granularity, eliminate certain fields, or add new calculated metrics. In this video, the
- [Instructor] So one pro tip relating to table layouts…is using the tabular layout to create new source data…and I'll let you know what I mean by that.…So let's say in this case we've got our IMDB movie database.…It's a ton of rows of data, it's at the title level…with all these different categorical fields and metrics…and let's say using the pivot,…we just want to aggregate that data…up to a slightly less granular level.…So instead by title, maybe I just want table of data…that shows revenues by country by genre…and that's the deepest I want it to go.…
In that case, I can exclude anything from the pivot…that I'm not interested in.…In this case, let's pull color…and black and white back into filters…and now I've got the data that I really care about,…revenue, by genre, by country.…The problem is, if I copy this and paste it somewhere else,…it's not in a very useful format…so I can't just take this…and load it into a SQL table or an Access database…and even if I move it to a new worksheet in Excel,…I still got these blank rows, these totals,…
- Establishing a layer convention and property filters
- Structuring your source data
- How PivotTables actually work
- Number formatting and conditional formatting
- Sorting and grouping options
- Troubleshooting incorrect sorting
- Value summarization and value calculation modes
- Inserting calculated items
- Visualizing data with PivotCharts
- Designing interactive dashboards
Skill Level Intermediate
Part 1: Introduction1m 8s
1. Getting Started
Getting to know IMDb2m 21s
2. PivotTable 101
3. PivotTable Formatting
4. Sorting, Filtering, and Grouping
5. Calculated Values, Fields, and Items
6. Visualizing Data with PivotCharts
7. Wrapping Up
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.