In this video, the instructor explains how to prevent charts from moving, resizing, and distorting when the underlying rows or columns of the spreadsheet are adjusted.
- [Instructor] In the last demo,…when we dragged the genre field…into the column labels in our third pivot,…our worksheet automatically resized a bunch of columns,…due to a default setting called autofit.…So, what happened was that, all of these columns…all the way out to R,…got crunched down to the minimum width necessary…to display the data in all of those genre columns.…Which, in turn, shrunk the width of any charts…that happened to be sitting on top of those columns.…So, the good news is that there are at least…two ways to avoid this issue,…both of which are a little bit sneaky.…
So, this was something that bugged me for years…before I finally figured it out.…And lucky for you, I'm feeling pretty generous today,…so I suppose I'll share my secrets.…Now, solution one is to adjust the chart properties…for any of the charts that are getting resized…and this is a default setting in Excel.…So when you drop in a new chart,…like this column chart, for instance,…you'll see that it's essentially tied…to the height of underlying rows…
- Establishing a layer convention and property filters
- Structuring your source data
- How PivotTables actually work
- Number formatting and conditional formatting
- Sorting and grouping options
- Troubleshooting incorrect sorting
- Value summarization and value calculation modes
- Inserting calculated items
- Visualizing data with PivotCharts
- Designing interactive dashboards
Skill Level Intermediate
Learning Excel Data-Analysis (2015)with Curt Frye2h 24m Beginner
Part 1: Introduction1m 8s
1. Getting Started
Getting to know IMDb2m 21s
2. PivotTable 101
3. PivotTable Formatting
4. Sorting, Filtering, and Grouping
5. Calculated Values, Fields, and Items
6. Visualizing Data with PivotCharts
7. Wrapping Up
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.