In this video, the instructor demonstrates how to format your source data as a table or define column-only source references to accommodate data that consistently grows over time.
- [Instructor] In the last lecture,…we talked about some of the more basic refresh…and data source options, but now I want to share…two pro tips that are really, really helpful…when you're working with dynamic or growing source data.…So back in our IMDb Movie Database file,…you'll remember that the last tip…that I showed you was to simply stack…or append new data into rows beneath the existing range.…In this case, we added a fake title…called Sample Title in row 3727,…and from there, we had to go back into the Pivot,…Pivot Table Tools, and change the data source manually…to capture that new data.…
But the fact is, there are more efficient ways…to accomplish this same task.…The first option is to remove the row numbers…from our source reference, which will essentially…tell Excel to pull in any rows…from within those columns so that you can simply refresh…rather than adjusting that reference each time.…And so, in our Tools, I'm going to go into Change Data Source.…And all I'm going to do is remove the fixed reference…
- Establishing a layer convention and property filters
- Structuring your source data
- How PivotTables actually work
- Number formatting and conditional formatting
- Sorting and grouping options
- Troubleshooting incorrect sorting
- Value summarization and value calculation modes
- Inserting calculated items
- Visualizing data with PivotCharts
- Designing interactive dashboards
Skill Level Intermediate
Learning Excel Data-Analysis (2015)with Curt Frye2h 24m Beginner
Part 1: Introduction1m 8s
1. Getting Started
Getting to know IMDb2m 21s
2. PivotTable 101
3. PivotTable Formatting
4. Sorting, Filtering, and Grouping
5. Calculated Values, Fields, and Items
6. Visualizing Data with PivotCharts
7. Wrapping Up
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.