In this video, Chris shows you how to insert data bars using conditional formatting rules, and hide the cell values to prevent them from overlapping your bars and distracting from the visual itself.
- [Instructor] Okay, while we're on the topic…of conditional formatting, there's one pro tip…that I just have to share with you guys.…And it's using a combination of data bars…with an invisible text effect…to create a really nice visualization.…So first things first, let's go ahead…and clear these flags that we had set in the last lecture.…And what I want to do here…is pull in a second instance of gross revenue.…So even though it's already inserted into the pivot,…I can just drag that field again…and create a second instance of revenue.…
And the reason I'm going to do this is…because I'd like to have one column that continues…to just show me the raw values themselves on their own…and a second version of the column…to treat purely as my visualization column.…So like I showed you in the last lecture,…I could just select the values,…go into conditional formatting, and add data bars here.…That works okay, my problem with this is that I don't like…the overlap between the numbers and the visuals themselves.…I think it's a little bit messy, it's tough to read.…
- Establishing a layer convention and property filters
- Structuring your source data
- How PivotTables actually work
- Number formatting and conditional formatting
- Sorting and grouping options
- Troubleshooting incorrect sorting
- Value summarization and value calculation modes
- Inserting calculated items
- Visualizing data with PivotCharts
- Designing interactive dashboards
Skill Level Intermediate
Part 1: Introduction1m 8s
1. Getting Started
Getting to know IMDb2m 21s
2. PivotTable 101
3. PivotTable Formatting
4. Sorting, Filtering, and Grouping
5. Calculated Values, Fields, and Items
6. Visualizing Data with PivotCharts
7. Wrapping Up
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.