Instructor Josh Rischin shows how to set up security and access controls prior to sharing a workbook in Excel Online.
- [Instructor] Preparing permissions is extremely important…as we want to control who can and can't access information…and it's something that we should do up front…before we invest too much time and effort…in developing a workbook.…Let's go ahead and create a new blank Excel Online workbook…and include some text before we save the file.…In this case, I'm just going to include some text:…This workbook has been created…to demonstrate how to create permissions…and share a workbook in Excel Online.…To save the file, simply click on File,…Save As, and save a copy online.…
Now let's give the file a more meaningful name,…such as Sharing, and then click on Save.…Now upon saving,…you as the author have access to change permissions…and share the file by clicking on Share…in the top right of the screen.…So let's go ahead and do that.…Once the sharing dialog box appears,…to change the permission setting options,…simply click on this drop down box…and you are presented with a number of options.…What I generally like to do is deselect Allow editing,…
Note: This course is for users who know the basics of the Excel desktop app, but are new to the web browser version, Excel Online. It emphasizes features that work differently in Excel Online. For basic Excel guidance, please see Learning Excel 2016 or Excel 2016 Essential Training.
- Creating and editing workbooks
- Integrating the desktop version of Excel
- Sharing workbooks and assigning access privileges
- Creating charts
- Designing forms and surveys