Join Bill Shander for an in-depth discussion in this video Personalization, part of Data Visualization: Storytelling.
- [Voiceover] As I've said many times before,…including my other Linda courses.…One of the most compelling reasons to make…any experience interactive, is because…we're all essentially narcissists.…Everyone's interested in things that are about themselves…and the things that they care about.…And interactivity gives your audience the opportunity…to make your content about them.…They get to twist knobs and turn dials,…and select from drop downs, and filter things…down to just what they find interesting.…Storytelling, by it's very nature,…is an act of narcissism, not only on the part…of the storyteller, necessarily,…but on the part of the listener.…
If you believe what I was saying earlier,…about how stories are an evolutionary advantage,…because they help the listener learn…how to resolve anxiety, and learn skills…that'll him or her survive, then that is very clearly…a narcissistic thing.…The story, in it's consumption, is quite directly…about the listener, and their reality…as much as it is about the storyteller.…
Join data visualization expert Bill Shander as he guides you through the process of turning "facts and figures" into "story" to engage and fulfill our human expectation for information. This course is intended for anyone who works with data and has to communicate it to others, whether a researcher, a data analyst, a consultant, a marketer, or a journalist. Bill shows you how to think about, and craft, stories from data by examining many compelling stories in detail.
- Creating a narrative structure for data
- Applying narrative to data
- Identifying what you want to say with the data
- Analyzing what your data is saying
- Determining what your audience needs to hear
- Leveraging tables, charts, and visuals
- Ensuring your narrative provides context and direction