Join Curt Frye for an in-depth discussion in this video PMT: Calculating a loan payment, part of Excel 2010: Financial Functions in Depth.
Most loans, whether between businesses or made by businesses to individual…borrowers, are fully amortized.…Fully amortized means that the monthly payments made over the term of the loan…pay off the principal and all of the accrued interest.…In Excel, you can calculate the monthly payments required to pay off a fully…amortized loan by using the PMT function.…I've set up this workbook so that it has all the arguments that we need for the…PMT function to calculate our monthly payment.…First is the Rate and this is exactly what you would expect, the annual interest rate.…
Next is the Number of periods and that's just the number of payments that you need to make.…In this case, it's 12 payments a year over 30 years for 360 payments.…Then we have the Present value and that is the amount that you owe and you'll…notice that it is represented as a negative number because, as I said, it's the…amount that you are owing.…Next is the Future value of the loan and this is the amount that you want to end…up with after you make your payments.…
- Analyzing loans, payments, and interest
- Discovering the interest rate of an annuity
- Determining depreciation using the straight line, declining balance, double-declining balance, and other methods
- Calculating the future value of an investment with variable returns
- Finding the discount rate of a security
- Converting between fractional prices and decimal prices
- Determining the yield of securities that pay interest periodically
Skill Level Intermediate
Q: Where can I learn more about Excel formulas?
A: Discover more on this topic by visiting Excel formulas on lynda.com.
1. Analyzing Loans, Payments, and Interest
2. Calculating Depreciation
3. Determining Values and Rates of Return
4. Calculating Bond Coupon Dates and Security Durations
5. Calculating Security Prices and Yields
6. Calculating Prices and Yields of Securities with Odd Periods
Additional resources1m 5s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.