The road to becoming an analytics expert is long, winding, and rarely straightforward. In this video, Chris stresses the importance of sharing and showcasing work, discovering and connecting with people who inspire you, exploring the resources at your fingertips, and taking a constant, proactive approach to learning.
- [Voiceover] So, at this point, you may be asking yourself,…what comes next?…First and foremost, make your voice heard.…Share your work, showcase your progress,…ask for feedback, and join, or better yet,…start conversations about all things analytics.…Whether you're publishing posts on LinkedIn,…sharing projects on Facebook,…or just talking to friends and colleagues,…the most important thing is that you're creating a dialogue.…Second, discover and connect with people who inspire you.…Find industry experts, authors, thought leaders,…Excel MVPs, literally anyone with valuable insight to share.…
Expand your network,…surround yourself with a steady stream of inspiration,…and work on becoming the one who inspires others.…Third, explore your resources.…There's an absolutely massive amount of rich,…valuable content out there…to help you become an analytics rock star,…but you'll never find it without a bit of curiosity.…Here are a few of my personal favorite Excel resources.…For help with specific formulas or functions,…
Using conditional statements and text functions like LEFT, MID, RIGHT, and CONCATENATE, you'll learn to standardize data sets from the NCDC and create new dimensions. Then find out how to use VLOOKUP to join the data, and use COUNTIF statements to analyze trends. Once the historical data is in place, Chris shows how to use Excel's powerful WEBSERVICE and FILTERXML functions to tap directly into Weather Underground's API, which provides real-time weather information for any location and allows you to estimate accident rates based on current conditions.
Last but not least, you'll learn how to build custom charts to show the expected accident risk based on real-time inputs, and walk through some additional opportunities for deeper analysis.
- Standardizing data
- Creating new data dimensions fields
- Joining data
- Analyzing trends in the data with COUNTIF
- Creating an API feed with WEBSERVICE
- Extracting components with FILTERXML
- Visualizing the findings in a custom combo chart
- Applying your new skill set