When you analyze data with a PivotTable, think of yourself as a pilot and the Field List as your cockpit. In this video, Chris shows you how to use the PivotTable Field List to slice, dice, and filter your data with ease.
- [Instructor] The first step towards mastering pivot tables…is understanding exactly how the field list works.…Think of the field list as your cockpit…or your command center where you can drag…and drop your fields to customize exactly how the data…in your pivot table will be displayed.…Now there are five key sections of the field list…to pay attention to.…The first section on top lays out…all of the columns available in your source data…with check marks for any fields that are currently included…somewhere in the pivot.…In this case, we're looking at a simple data set…containing only four fields: state, year, total population…and student population.…
Beneath that you have four boxes: filters, columns,…rows, and values.…And these four boxes determine what data you're looking at…and how it's filtered and organized in your pivot table.…So I actually like to start in the lower right box…and drag in any quantitative or numerical fields…that I care about analyzing.…In other words, these are the metrics that I can count.…
- Establishing a layer convention and property filters
- Structuring your source data
- How PivotTables actually work
- Number formatting and conditional formatting
- Sorting and grouping options
- Troubleshooting incorrect sorting
- Value summarization and value calculation modes
- Inserting calculated items
- Visualizing data with PivotCharts
- Designing interactive dashboards
Skill Level Intermediate
Learning Excel Data-Analysis (2015)with Curt Frye2h 24m Beginner
Part 1: Introduction1m 8s
1. Getting Started
Getting to know IMDb2m 21s
2. PivotTable 101
3. PivotTable Formatting
4. Sorting, Filtering, and Grouping
5. Calculated Values, Fields, and Items
6. Visualizing Data with PivotCharts
7. Wrapping Up
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.