Join Dennis Taylor for an in-depth discussion in this video Multitiered lists: Lists depending on lists, part of Excel 2013: Data Validation.
…In this worksheet called Multi List, imagine if we want…to enter states by way of a Pick List and…then based on which state entry we make we might…want to select cities but only cities from that State.…We can do this by way of a multi tiered Data Validation setup.…Let's start with the idea that in column A.…The only entries we want to see here are the entries that we see in Column D.…Now, in real life situation, you might…be using full spellings that's certainly fine, too.…I just did this for ease of setting up and visibility.…
So, we're starting with the idea using standard…Data Validation techniques, that in Column A, we want…to provide a pick list consisting only of the…entries that we see right now in Column D.…So, on the Data Tab we start with Date Validation, Allow…List and the source of that list, the Cells D1 through D12.…We click OK.…So, as we click on one of the entries in Column A here.…There's the Drop Arrow.…We pick a state and so on.…Now, in Column B we'd like to have a…Drop Arrow here that only shows us Cities from Indiana.…
- Explain the difference between an error alert and an input message.
- Apply drop-down lists to save time and ensure consistency.
- Explore different ways to manage data with multitiered lists.
- Name the function that allows the placement of multiple restrictions within the same data validation.
- Review the steps necessary to create time limitations.