Oz du Soleil explains why you would load data only as connection in Get & Transform. Rather than load to table or load to data model, load to connection is typically used for avoiding clutter in an Excel workbook.
- [Instructor] In order to use Get & Transform…to stack this data up, I would stack up queries,…not the data itself.…So, let's make queries.…With the cursor inside the dataset, Data, From Table.…Here's our query.…Let's load it.…Notice this is the same information as here.…We don't need it also over here, because we're not going…to do anything with it.…
Let's go back here.…Let's make our other query.…Data, From Table.…Load this as a connection only.…Okay.…Now, to restate the point, over here on the right,…I am going to load these queries.…So, let's do that.…New Query, Combine Queries,…Append.…
Table1.…Table3.…Okay.…This is what I want.…So, let's load this.…And I'm going to load it to a specific spot.…Okay.…Load.…There is the list that we need.…And if we added more names…and then refreshed,…this updated.…
I don't care that I can't see…that the two queries updated.…The result is what I want.…And this is excess.…With a dataset this small, it's hard to see the point…about avoiding clutter,…but imagine if you had a massive workbook, multiple tabs,…
AuthorOz du Soleil
- What is Get & Transform?
- Querying data
- Working with columns
- Using formulas
- Pivoting and unpivoting data
- Grouping data
- Appending a query
- Merging/combining data with joins
Skill Level Intermediate
1. What Is Get & Transform?
2. Working with Queries
3. Working with Columns
4. Working with Formulas
5. Pivoting and Unpivoting Data
Group data2m 31s
7. Appending a Query
8. Merging Data with Joins
9. Putting It All Together and Applying Your Learning
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.