Join Bill Shander for an in-depth discussion in this video Labeling, part of Data Visualization Storytelling Essentials.
- View Offline
- Stories with data often include charts and graphs…and other visual displays of data.…Whether we're talking about a simple bar chart,…or a very complex visual display,…it's really important to label things appropriately.…Your labels and keys will provide the necessary context,…and teach your reader not just what they're looking at,…but how to interpret it.…They're like signposts pointing the way to understanding.…Think of it from a purely storytelling standpoint.…If you told a story, the storyteller often provides…visual cues to provide that extra layer of information…to bring it all home.…Labels in a data story, perform a similar task.…
They also bring clarity to what otherwise might be confusing…or sometimes misleading information.…I'm sure you know to label your axes and data elements,…but as I always say you wanna label…things as little as possible.…If you label everything you're telling…your audience that nothing is important.…Only label what has to be labeled.…But I wanna share a couple of examples…of really well executed labels and data stories.…
Join data visualization expert Bill Shander as he guides you through the process of turning "facts and figures" into "story" to engage and fulfill our human expectation for information. This course is intended for anyone who works with data and has to communicate it to others, whether a researcher, a data analyst, a consultant, a marketer, or a journalist. Bill shows you how to think about, and craft, stories from data by examining many compelling stories in detail.
- Creating a narrative structure for data
- Applying narrative to data
- Identifying what you want to say with the data
- Analyzing what your data is saying
- Determining what your audience needs to hear
- Leveraging tables, charts, and visuals
- Ensuring your narrative provides context and direction