Join Bill Shander for an in-depth discussion in this video KWYRWTS, part of Data Visualization: Storytelling.
- [Instructor] Some acronyms sound great,…maybe they even sound kind of like what they represent,…like NASA, it sounds kinda cool and techie and interesting,…and YOLO sounds lighthearted and fun.…And most good acronyms work because they're easy…to pronounce and kinda stick in your head.…Some acronyms aren't good at all when looked at…through a traditional lens,…and KWYRWTS definitely falls into this latter category,…bad acronym, I admit it,…But it's such an important idea…that I have to say it anyway.…
KWYRWTS stands for Know What You Really Want To Say.…This is the secret to all good communications.…I hadn't defined it yet when I created my data visualization…fundamentals course, but I did talk about it…in my data visualization for data analysts course.…There is no more important lesson for any communicator.…Seriously, if you remember nothing else from anything…I've ever said, just remember this.…If you're trying to communicate something to someone,…how can you do it if you don't know…what you're trying to say?…
Join data visualization expert Bill Shander as he guides you through the process of turning "facts and figures" into "story" to engage and fulfill our human expectation for information. This course is intended for anyone who works with data and has to communicate it to others, whether a researcher, a data analyst, a consultant, a marketer, or a journalist. Bill shows you how to think about, and craft, stories from data by examining many compelling stories in detail.
- Creating a narrative structure for data
- Applying narrative to data
- Identifying what you want to say with the data
- Analyzing what your data is saying
- Determining what your audience needs to hear
- Leveraging tables, charts, and visuals
- Ensuring your narrative provides context and direction