Join Curt Frye for an in-depth discussion in this video Introducing the problem, part of Solving Optimization and Scheduling Problems in Excel.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
- Sports of all varieties,…from the smallest weekday softball league,…to multi-billion dollar professional sports teams,…draw interest around the world.…In this chapter, we will create a spreadsheet…that defines a schedule for a six team league…that maximizes the value of that schedule.…So first let's talk about the characteristics of the league,…and the desired characteristics of the schedule.…Team sports traditionally put two teams…against each other in a game,…and as I mentioned earlier,…we will assume that we have a six team league,…but it's divided into two divisions.…
Teams A, B, and C are in one division,…and Teams D, E, and F are the in the other.…We assume that because teams are in a division…that they are perhaps competing for a playoff spot,…so any team will play the other teams…in their division twice.…And because this is a seven week season,…you will play teams that are not in your division…once per season.…So you play teams in your division twice,…teams that are not in your division once.…There are some further assumptions,…
- Finding target values using Goal Seek
- Organizing worksheets
- Finding a solution using Solver
- Solving linear and nonlinear mixture problems
- Solving transportation problems
- Solving resource scheduling or sports scheduling problems
- Analyzing Solver results
Skill Level Intermediate
Excel 2013: Managing and Analyzing Datawith Dennis Taylor2h 2m Intermediate
Excel 2013: Data Validation in Depthwith Dennis Taylor1h 5m Intermediate
Cleaning Up Your Excel 2013 Datawith Dennis Taylor1h 59m Appropriate for all
1. Working with Solver
2. Solving a Linear Mixture Problem
3. Solving a Nonlinear Mixture Problem
4. Solving a Transportation Problem
5. Solving a Resource Scheduling Optimization Problem
6. Solving a Sports Scheduling Problem
7. Analyzing Your Solver Results
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.