Join Curt Frye for an in-depth discussion in this video Introducing linear and integer programming, part of Solving Optimization and Scheduling Problems in Excel.
- As described in the last movie,…goalseek lets you find answers to problems…that involve changing a single value,…such as the amount of a substance in a mixture.…If you're good at math,…you can solve that kind of problem using algebra.…When you're faced with multiple changing variables however,…you must turn to linear and integer programming.…In this movie I will describe what those problems look like.…The goal is to find an optimal solution or solutions…to systems of equations.…One technique you can use is called linear programming.…
In linear programming,…the equations that you use to solve the problem…can't have exponents in the terms,…or at least exponents greater than 1,…so no squares or cubes and so on.…Nonlinear programming does allow exponents.…It is a more complex and time-consuming process.…And then finally, there is integer programming,…which requires whole-number solutions.…Integer programming might sound like it's easier,…but, in fact, it is significantly harder.…Problems that can be solved quickly…
- Finding target values using Goal Seek
- Organizing worksheets
- Finding a solution using Solver
- Solving linear and nonlinear mixture problems
- Solving transportation problems
- Solving resource scheduling or sports scheduling problems
- Analyzing Solver results
Skill Level Intermediate
Excel 2013: Managing and Analyzing Datawith Dennis Taylor2h 2m Intermediate
Excel 2013: Data Validation in Depthwith Dennis Taylor1h 5m Intermediate
Cleaning Up Your Excel 2013 Datawith Dennis Taylor1h 59m Appropriate for all
1. Working with Solver
2. Solving a Linear Mixture Problem
3. Solving a Nonlinear Mixture Problem
4. Solving a Transportation Problem
5. Solving a Resource Scheduling Optimization Problem
6. Solving a Sports Scheduling Problem
7. Analyzing Your Solver Results
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.