A key part of collaborating in Excel Online is adding and reviewing comments in workbooks. In this video, learn how to make, review, and delete comments in Excel Online.
- [Instructor] Comments are an important Excel Online collaboration feature, as it lets other users know and indeed, yourself, as the author, when something needs to be noted or followed up on. I suggest you have XOL AlreadyShared open to follow along with me. Now, when we look at these data table, you can see that a couple of things jump out, but in particular, we have a number here that's over $34 million. This may be something that we want to flag for a followup later on. So, if we go ahead and right click on the cell and then select new comment, we can include a comment such as "This number looks too high." And then let's click on post comment and click away from the cell and you'll notice that we have a little icon, which is actually a call out at the top right-hand side of the cell. This lets us know that the cell has a comment that we can review later on. If we click on the cross here next to comments, then go and click in the cell that has the comment, you'll notice that the call out appears at the top right-hand side of the cell. If we left click on the comment, you'll notice that the window on the right-hand side has expanded and it brings up the comment. It tells us it's in cell E23 and our observation is "This number looks too high." Now, if we click on the three dots here, we can resolve the thread, we can edit it, or we can delete it. Let's say that we have received an explanation for why that number is too high. We can delete the thread. If we now click on the cross, you'll notice that the comment icon has disappeared. Now, if other users have been given access, that is edit access to the file, you will see their comments appear here too. And, as the author, you'll be able to contribute to the comment thread, resolve the thread, or even delete it if you believe that the comment that they have made doesn't need any attention. And that is how we insert and review comments in Excel Online.
Note: This course is for users who know the basics of the Excel desktop app, but are new to the web version, Excel Online. It emphasizes features that work differently in Excel Online. For basic Excel guidance, please see Excel Essential Training (Office 365) or Learning Excel 2019.
- Using Excel Online shortcuts
- Customizing your view
- Integrating the desktop version of Excel
- Sharing workbooks in Excel Online and OneDrive
- Inserting and reviewing comments
- Creating and editing charts
- Working with PivotTables and PivotCharts